Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Muse That Won't Go Away

I've been reading blogs for years. Friends' blogs, informative blogs, news blogs. Some I stick with, some I read for a while and then move on. And I always thought to myself, that's for them ... for other people. Bloggers. People with important things to say (or who think they have important things to say).

But I have this persistent need to write. It isn't there all the time, but sometimes when an idea comes it just won't shut up. From what I've read, a lot of writers are like this - characters, or ideas, or what have you just wander in uninvited and refuse to leave. Berkeley Breathed, creator of Bloom County, talked about that. My highly successful children's author stepmother has said much the same thing. I get these uninvited musings, from time to time. So I finally broke down and created a blog, just to have some place to put them.

I don't have any illusions about the importance of these things for anybody but me. Unlike my co-author and friend Steve Saideman (whose blog, which is on my blog list, is excellent - he writes good stuff!), I'm not much of a narcissist. I don't need people to pay attention to me, or to share everything that crosses my mind (that's what Facebook is for - and my friends know how infrequently I post anything there). So if you read any of this and find it useful, great. If not, that's cool too.

I wrote for another blog once, now defunct (you can still find it at bajassociates.com/blog). That was a different thing altogether - it was a business blog, for business purposes. Heaven knows that my letting a few musings out of my head isn't going to make me any money. I just need to write. This seems like a decent place to do it.

If you spend any time writing, you find that the Muses can be both fickle and tenacious. I don't know how often I'll post things here - that's the fickle part. But when the Muse comes calling, it's hard to ignore. Hopefully this will be a comfortable space for those thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment